Goodbye, Bedroom Carpet!

Hi, there. This post is about my bedroom makeover, and I'm participating in the One Room Challenge linking party with Linda from Calling it Home and lots of other amazing bloggers.  If you're interested in seeing my previous posts on this project, click here. And thanks for being here!

So, this happened:




Ahem. You may remember me saying this about our bedroom makeover:

"I know I can't refinish the hardwood floors under the carpet yet,  and I won't part with my ceiling fan that I love to sleep under in the summer, but I've got big plans for the rest of this room."

Yeah, well.

I've been reading lots of blog posts by ORC participants and a lot of them mention that this challenge is exactly what they need to motivate them or to "light a fire under" them to get something done. I've concluded that I walk around with a fire lit under me all the time, and link parties like this must just push me over the edge. I may try plumbing a bathroom in here pretty soon.

This all happened the same day we started talking about it. Max Cat had decided a corner of the carpet was his new wee-wee pad, so we'd decided to rent a heavy-duty carpet shampooer. Then a conversation started that snowballed like this:

"We should just get rid of the carpet."

"Yeah, we should have done that when we first moved in."

"The guy we bought the house from said there were nice wood floors underneath."

"You know, if it needs some repair, we could do it."

"I would love to have white painted floors, anyway!"

"This would be so easy!"

"I'm sold! Let's do this!"


Yes, my iPad is opened up to a YouTube video on how to remove carpet tack strips. I figured it out myself before the video loaded, though. Pry and pull!

We just worked our way around the room, moving furniture, pulling, prying, sweeping, mopping, and moving furniture again. It wasn't too hard, but it wasn't perfect.



This is a really small hole, and it looks like where an air grate used to be. I've seen lots of tutorials all over the place on how to patch a spot like this, so I think we can tackle this. Or put a rug over it.

As you can see, the floor is not yet lovely. It is painted brown and has paint splatters all over it. 

The plan that's bouncing around in my head right now is to give it all a light sanding, prime it and paint it. I'm just torn between white floors and gray floors. Rand votes for gray, since he thinks it will show less dirt and he doesn't think the floors should match the walls and the ceilings. I'm pulling for white, because this:



and this:



and this:



Oh, Mylanta. So what do you think? Team White or Team Gray? Would I regret white floors for any reason? Any thoughts?

Also, I already own a gallon of BM Rockport Gray Porch and Floor Paint, if that makes a difference.





Follow on Bloglovin

16 comments:

  1. What a good decision to tear it out. I vote for white. It's gonna look great either way though. -Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so glad it's gone-it's changed the whole room so much already. I'm really leaning towards white!

      Delete
  2. Crazy times. I JUST HAD THIS CONVERSATION with the mister! I said I wanted to paint our bedroom hardwoods white! Our walls will be light gray. Our are badly stained from who-knows-what-from-previous-home-owner. So. I vote white.......and I can't wait to see your results!!!!!!!!! THEN YOU CAN COME AND GIVE ME TIPS!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy! Great minds, you know. :) At first my husband was in complete shock that I would want to paint hardwood floors, but he's finally on board, after seeing how much trouble it would be to refinish them. I'm so excited!

      Delete
  3. If you've already got gray paint, why not paint it gray (at least a test section)? If you decide you hate it, you can repaint it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! Yes, I already own the gray paint from accidentally buying way too much to paint our front porch floor. It turned out a lot lighter than I expected on the porch, so I should definitely try it out just to see. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Are you having fun? Your floors would look great either color, but I agree if you have the gray, use it.I would definitely be throwing a rug over that patch. I'm looking forward to watching you do plumbing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a blast! Redoing a room is my idea of a great time! :)

      Delete
  5. Yey, the tough and icky part is done and I can't wait to see it all clean and white!!!!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being here! Agreed-ripping up the carpet tack strips and staples was not so fun, but it's about to get good!

      Delete
  6. I ripped up carpet too! Isn't it the worst?! So much dirt under there, glad it's gone now and I'll actually be able to clean my floors. I like the idea of gray, but the white floor pics are nice. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I'm so glad it's gone. The room seriously feels bigger now. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I'm on team gray! You have and it will show less scuff's, etc...

    So excited to see your rooms progression!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really torn here...I've always loved white floors, but I don't want something that will show dirt and cat hair too easily. I love the gray on my porch floor, which is why I have the gray floor paint. I think I'll test out the gray on a section of the floor and see how it looks. Thank you so much for stopping by!!

      Delete
  8. I tore out my carpet from my bedroom over a year ago to find gray painted flooring. I still haven't gotten around to doing anything about it but had to comment I have the same little square patch that you have from a heat grate being removed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny! I've been looking around for ideas on how to patch it, but I wish I could just find a heat grate to fit there and call it good. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...