Canon Rebel


I haven't mentioned my 101 in 1001 list in a while, so let's check in on that. I actually accomplished a list item here recently, but it wasn't until I glanced at my list again that I remembered it was on there.
59. Buy a nice DSLR camera.
Done! I had been planning on saving up for one at some point, because the one I wanted with the lens and everything it needed was going to run me well over 1000 bones. But I hadn't started saving, and Rand gave me a strange look when I said that on top of selling our house and everything else we want to do, I wanted to drop that much money on a camera.

Sometimes he doesn't understand the needs of an artist.

Then I walked into work the other day and saw an ad from a coworker in the teacher workroom. A Canon Rebel DSLR, a few years old, $100. He even let me take it home and try it out first, and whoa. It was amazing. And when I told Rand that it was $100, his exact words were, "$100? Sold." 

Sold.

So this brings me to another 101 in 1001 list item.

49. Take a photography class.

I really want to do this. I've noticed lots of e-courses and online tutorials that I would like to check out, since that would help me figure out all the millions of buttons on this camera, but I'm also hoping to find an actual, in person class to take somewhere.  I plan to look into non-degree seeking classes at Missouri State, since Rand's job means I get some free classes. If anyone reading this knows anything about auditing university classes, please let me know!

In the meantime, don't laugh, but here are a few photos I've taken with it so far. Keep in mind, I KNOW NOTHING. Seriously, I know nothing about the settings on this camera or composition or photography in general. But I want to learn, and I really think I learn best by doing, then failing, then redoing a little better each time. These are all just straight from the camera and were taken around my house, walking around my neighborhood and in the car running errands. Practice, practice, practice.








So there's my first session of playing around with my new camera. I like it a lot.

I already own two vintage film cameras, a Minolta and a Kodak Retina Reflex, both from the late 60's. I love using film (I don't love how much it costs) but I'm really excited to learn what all the fancy buttons on my new camera do.

And if I end up getting frustrated and losing interest, I didn't invest too much money in it! I always have to keep that possibility in mind, too.


Follow on Bloglovin

8 comments:

  1. Super jealous. I'm saving for a *real* camera (DSLR) right now and I'd love to stumble on such a good deal! :) I've actually thought about auditing a photography class after I finally buy one, so definitely let me know how that goes if you decide to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll report what I find. :) I hope I can make it work with a full time work schedule!

      Delete
  2. P.S. Those snaps are nothing to be ashamed of, either! You've got an eye for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pics!! They are amazing! And $100? That is amazing! Sounds like it was meant for you! Have fun with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really late in commenting because I was saving this for when I was able to use my laptop, haha - but this is definitely one of my things on my 101 in 1001 list as well! I actually asked for a DSLR for a graduation/Christmas present (nearly four years ago!) but I should have been specific - my parents wound up getting me a low-end Nikon that you can't even change the lenses out on, instead of the Canon body I wanted. I think this is next on my list of things I want to get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! I am really loving it. It was pretty overwhelming at first because it does SO MUCH but I've been amazed at the results I've gotten so far. I don't have anything to compare it to, obviously, but I've seen the Canon Rebel recommended all over the place, and I love mine so far!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...