Adding Some Color to This Bedroom

Time to check in on the One Room Challenge, hosted by Linda at Calling it Home. In case you missed it, this is an event where lots of bloggers commit to reimagining one room in six weeks and sharing their progress along the way. I'm working on my master bedroom. If you would like to see where I started, you can see all my posts related to this project here. If you want to see more awesome room makeovers in progress, check out the linking party here. If you are here from the link-up, welcome!

Let's be friends.

I missed last week due to to little blogger breakdown. Last week was parent/teacher conference week, grades were due, Rand was out of town for the week, and I accidentally published a post that was obviously not ready to be published. When I discovered that, I shut down the computer and gave up on all my hopes and dreams.

But now I've had time to rest, and I feel better. Want to see what I've been doing to my bedroom and my poor husband?

Basically, I stripped all the color out of this room, and now I'm finally adding a little color back in.

First of all, the color of the walls and trim has changed. I went over all the dull, off white trim in Benjamin Moore's Simply White, and it only took one coat to make me happy. Huge difference. If you were perhaps wondering if it really made a difference, since the trim was already white, here's proof:



Wow. 2008 me didn't know anything about selecting white paint.


Much better! Although, I will be touching up that black paint for a long time. EVERY TIME I walk past it I see a spot I missed. 

Next, we primed and painted the walls Benjamin Moore's Moonlight White. This is the same white in my living room and kitchen, and it is amah-zing. I tried several times to get the right gray in here, and it turns out this white does the trick. Next to the Simply White trim, it looks like the most subtle, soft gray possible. I'm smitten.




So that left me with a black and white room. I needed some color, so I hung my paint-by-numbers collection back up on the wall.


Also I also finally got some new bedding! The floral sheet set is from Ross and the duvet cover and shams are from Ikea. The sheets are a little calmer than what I originally envisioned, but I'm liking the floral/stripe combination.


The wahoo board is up, and we have nightstands! My poor husband was so patient with me, but he couldn't hold on much longer without somewhere to set his cell phone. Fortunately, I remembered these little ottomans I found at a garage sale this summer ($5 for the pair!) and I think they make great nightstands. I wanted something small, I like the color/texture, and they have storage inside. CHECK.


So we have some color in here now! And here's that to-do list I started with:

Paint the trim BM Simply White in semi-gloss.
Paint the walls BM Moonlight White in a flat finish.
+ Repaint the bedroom furniture set.
+ Hang curtains to make the window look bigger. (Maybe more drop-cloth curtains, maybe stamped? Maybe a different fabric? Not sure.)
Find and buy new bedding I like.
Replace the lights on either side of the bed.
+ Add some plants. PROGRESS!
+ Bring some color to this room with art and pillows on the bed. PROGRESS!
Hang lamps from the ceiling.
Find a way to rearrange the furniture in a way I like.

Added:
+ Paint the closet and bedroom doors BM Onyx.
+ Sand, prime, and paint the floors either BM Simply White or BM Rockport Gray.


We're moving right along, yes? To keep me sane, let's look back at where I started:



It's time to make a decision about those floors. 


How is your room coming? 

Have you ever had a blogger breakdown?

Do you have a go-to paint color you swear by?






Follow on Bloglovin

14 comments:

  1. Love your linens and the black door is fantastic!! Can't wait to see your floors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My room is coming along well, thanks for asking, but you seem to be doing great as well! So in love with your paint by number collection,(i'm sure Linda will agree). Can't wait to see more next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love the black door - just a nice pop in your room! And welcome back from blogger breakdown. Seems like you've had a very good week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's looking great! I love the vintage paint-by-numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do too. Now that I've started a little collection, I see them everywhere!

      Delete
  5. I have to ask...What is the plan with the white or gray floor? Are you still planning on painting it? -Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Caitlin! I haven't been ready to write a post on it yet, but I'm going with white. Gray is more practical for a couple reasons, but I have loved white floors for a long time, and I know I will regret it if I miss my chance. We are planning to paint soon, but we're just talking about where we're going to put everything and where we're going to sleep during that process, since it will involve sanding, a coat of primer, three coats of paint, and two clear coats. It's going to be messy!

      Delete
  6. I love the black door!!!! And the wahoo board and nightstands look amazing! Can't wait to see what you do with the floors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Those were items I had around my house, and they've finally found a place!

      Delete
  7. Things are really coming together. Can't wait to see your white floors!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...