There's Hope for This Bedroom

Psst: This is my first post of a whole bedroom makeover. This is part of the One Room Challenge Link Up from Linda at Calling it Home. If you like what you see here and you'd like to know what else happened in this room, here's the rest:

Linking Up
Goodbye, Bedroom Carpet
Adding Some Color Back Into My Bedroom
Thrifty Finds for My Bedroom

Here's the original post:

My poor master bedroom. I've failed this room over and over and over again. When we first moved in, it looked like this:


Then I decided I wanted it to be dark gray, but I accidentally chose a cold, dungeon-y dark gray and we had this (these are pre-blog photos showing different angles of the room, sorry!):


So then I repainted it with a warmer dark gray, and I realized I just don't really like dark gray paint in my house when I got this:


Some people can paint their walls dark gray and make it look amazing. I cannot, so I'm done with that and I will be painting these walls white.

But there's a problem. So stupid. When we first bought this house, I was excited to jump in and start changing things. And I had no clue what I was doing. I knew I wanted white trim, so I went to the store and bought some white paint and painted all the upstairs trim white. Great! Right?

No. Back then, I didn't realize that there are lots of different whites out there, and the white I chose is a bit of an "antique white" and it's a little warm. Meaning, when you put a true white next to it, it reads as a little...pink. So slightly, but enough to drive me crazy. Plus, I used a satin finish, so it just isn't as sparkly and bright as it should be.

So let's talk about what needs to happen here.

Master Bedroom To-Do List

+ Paint the trim BM Simply White in semi-gloss.
+ Paint the walls BM Moonlight White in a flat finish.
+ Repaint the bedroom furniture set (phase 1).
+ Replace the bedroom set with something more mid-century and leggy (phase 2).
+ Hang curtains to make the window look bigger. (Maybe more drop-cloth curtains, maybe stamped? Maybe a different fabric? Not sure.)
+ Find and buy new bedding I like.
+ Replace the lights on either side of the bed.
+ Add some plants.
+ Bring some color to this room with art and pillows on the bed.
+ Hang lamps from the ceiling.
+ Find a way to rearrange the furniture in a way I like.

After the gray paint debacle, I want bright and white. Here are some images of what I'm thinking for this room:






{Image Source}


{Image Source}



Are you seeing it too? I know I can't refinish the hardwood floors under the carpet yet,  and I won't part with my ceiling fan that I love to sleep under in the summer, but I've got big plans for the rest of this room. I'm also excited to show you the new bedding. I'm off to go paint now!



Follow on Bloglovin


14 comments:

  1. We put a ceiling fan in our bedroom too. That room is just too hot in the summer to go without (even though I hate how they look).

    Can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the ceiling fan thing is tough. I would love to have a beautiful pendant light in there, but I love sleeping under a fan too much! Substance wins out over style this time! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure if I've commented on here before - I'm a local Springfield lurker, haha. Anyway, I hear ya on the gray - it's actually one of my favorite colors (my mother thinks I'm such a freak because of that!) but unless you've got amazing lighting in a room, it won't work as a wall color. Have you considered going for a light gray? My landlord actually permitted my roommate and I to do some painting in our house, and my room is a very pale gray. It almost looks white, until you contrast it with something that actually is white. It's a great way to get the color I want but maintain the brightness (and it's so much better than the yucky brown my room was).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate-Thank you so much for stopping by! I'm loving how many local bloggers I've come across since I started this blog.

      I have BM's Classic Gray which is a really light gray in my dining room and dressing room, and it works great because those rooms get a ton of light. I LOVE the look of dark gray, too, but for some reason I just haven't been able to pull it off in my house. I was really close to painting this room Classic Gray, too, but I ended up going with white. It's funny that you mentioned the light gray paint that looks almost white, because I ended up going with BM's Moonlight White, and it seriously looks slightly gray next to the bright white trim. The contrast is so pretty.

      That's awesome that your landlord lets you paint. It's amazing what paint can do for a room!

      Delete
  3. I love a white room! Happy to follow your progression of your room. Sounds like you have a great plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being here, Stacey! I've had so many ideas bouncing around in my head for a while, so it's so good to finally put my plan together and make it happen! :)

      Delete
  4. You know they say grey is the new beige - I beg to differ. Your bedroom is going to look great! I love your inspiration photos. I found your blog through ORC and I am your newest follower on bloglovin. I am also participating on the ORC - #47 The Porch - would love to have you stop by.
    Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, gray is tough. I've seen it look so good in other rooms and in pictures, but the light has to be just right or just doesn't work. I think I might be on the right track with white, though! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Bright white will feel so fresh and clean! Look forward to seeing how your ORC goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad I stumbled onto this link up. It's such a great motivator!

      Delete
  6. I can't do gray walls, either but I do love them. Thanks for joining in. This will make a great transformation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here about the gray. I wish I could pull them off! Thank you for hosting the link up. I'm excited to see all these room makeovers!

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to seeing your transformation! White is so fresh & breezy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I agree, white makes a room feel so bright, and it's easy to decorate around!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...