My First Rag Rug in Progress


I started crocheting my first rag rug over Thanksgiving break, and I got an opportunity to make some more progress yesterday when we had our first snow day of the school year. This rug contains pieces of old sheets, Rand's shirts and pajama pants, and some old curtains. I know I'm going to need some more fabric very soon, so it might be a good time to get Rand to clean out his t-shirt drawer. I'm trying my best to stick to cool colors and whites.


As you can see above, I snapped my crochet hook in two. This is the second hook I've broken on this project. I've bought a third hook now, and this time I bought an aluminum one instead of acrylic. Hopefully this one can take the heat. It's size N, if you're curious.



The curling edges have been a big challenge. Every tutorial I've read says to add stitches if it seems to be curling up. I've done that, and all I got was lumpy + curling. However, every row has stopped curling up after I've added more rows after it, so maybe it will get over it eventually and lay down flat. This thing is thick and warm, though. I think it will go in the bedroom, if I ever finish it.


What do you think? Have you ever made a rag rug, and maybe you have tips for the curling issue? Or maybe just words of encouragement? If you are interested in making one of your own, there are tutorials all over the place for these. I used my Better Homes and Gardens Rug Making book, but there are great tutorials here, here, here, and here. I'll share the results when I'm done!

2 comments:

  1. You've read my mind - I've been wanting to make a rag rug! Mainly because my dog Hope has been eating the cute rug I bought at Target for my bedroom. I've never learned to crochet though, so I'm thinking I'll probably braid strips and then sew them onto a piece of backing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine's coming along nicely, but it takes FOREVER! Put in two or three good movies and settle in...but I love how it's made out of stuff we had around the house anyway. It's a really cheap project, but it's taking me a long time! Maybe braiding is the way to go, because my rug is curling up so bad. Please share yours if you decide to do it!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...