NYC













It so strange that it has already been over a year since our trip to NYC.

That trip was so spontaneous. Rand called me at work the Thursday before school got out for Christmas break and asked me if I wanted to take a road trip.  By Friday our plans had turned into a flight to New York, where we could stay with friends for an entire week.  We flew out on Christmas Day.

From the moment our plane landed, I felt like I belonged there.  You would think that a girl with social anxiety would hate the big city and all the people, but I loved it.  There, I was completely anonymous.  No one was looking at me or thinking about me.  No matter what I looked like, wore, or even maybe what I did, everyone around me was much too busy to stop and judge me.

And the people there were incredible.  I heard so many different languages and saw people wearing the most stylish clothing I had ever seen, just walking down the street.  Anyone who lives here will tell you that is not done here. If you look too different, someone might just call you out on it.  I'm actually too afraid to wear my "Sure, I'm a Marxist" shirt out of the house.  It has the Marx Brothers on it, haha, but I'm scared someone might not get it.

But more than anything, I loved the subway.  I LOVED it!  It was so easy to find my way around, it instantly made sense to me, and I didn't have to drive!  I hate driving so much.  I think I would be so happy to just take the train everywhere I go and never have to drive a car again.

We're planning to go back soon and see New York City when it's warm.  I'm also trying to convince Rand that we should live there.

All these photos were taken with my Kodak Retina Reflex IV.

What are your thoughts on life in such a big city?

Do you feel free to wear what you want?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...