Let's Preview Our New Neighborhood

{Via Wikipedia}
Hello friends! I have exciting news...we have an apartment in the city of Seattle!

I'm so relieved that the apartment hunting process is over, and we can start moving in later this week. I'll share pictures as soon as we're in, but for now, here's a few of the details. It's a one bedroom apartment in a neighborhood we LOVE-Capitol Hill. It's a building from the 60's, so it's not exactly pre-WWII charm, but it has hardwood floors, a pedestal sink, big windows, and a quirky personality that I like. Most of all, it was the location and the price that sold me. $1345 per month will shock all my Missouri friends and family, I'm sure, but trust me. We got a deal.


It's on a quiet, tree-lined residential street. We are one block away from the most amazing Goodwill store I've ever laid eyes on (more blogging about that later) and we're about two blocks away from a sweet commercial area, with coffee shops, boutiques, a farmer's market, restaurants, and even a vegetarian restaurant, which I'm excited to try. I'm a vegetarian, in case you didn't know. My vegan husband can't believe there is a vegan ice cream and sweet shop in the neighborhood, but I hear it's true.

Very soon, I will be sharing pictures of the new space and how I try to decorate it, but for now, let's learn about my new hood, mkay? Rand and I did a lot of research on Seattle neighborhoods before we decided on this one, and we have been walking around Capitol Hill a bit, but for now, it's really a pain to get over there until we live there. So I've been reading about it online. Let me share with you a few of my discoveries about my new home!

It's on a hill, duh.
My calves are going to be very sleek soon. Seattle is very hilly, but this neighborhood has hill in it's name for a reason. There are some serious slopes all around us. Maybe we'll walk when we're exiting the neighborhood and take the bus back in.

It has lots beautiful parks.
Being on a hill has some advantages, too, like incredible views of the city. I can't wait to spend some time in Volunteer Park to see the beautiful views and walking paths. Volunteer Park is located at the highest point above sea level in Capitol Hill.


Our neighborhood has a blog.
I've been reading up on all the latest news at capitolhillseattle.com.

Lots of live music.
Wikipedia says that Capitol Hill was the neighborhood "most closely associated with the grunge scene from the 1990s." That's kind of cool, I think. There are flyers all over the neighborhood for big-name artists as well as local musicians, so Rand's going to have to dig out his earplugs. I do like to rock.

That vegan sweet shop.
I can't wait to try Sugar Plum!


{Via Capitol Hill Seattle}
I'll be sharing my own photos and reviews as soon as I can. I can't wait to visit all these places and tell you about it!

*Side note: If you are reading this, please take a moment to leave a nice comment. I would love your feedback, and also, it's so nice to know I'm not just talking to an empty room...Thanks, friends!!

15 comments:

  1. I always read your blogs! Sounds so exciting and beautiful. And are you really a vegetarian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am! I've only been strict about it for a couple months now, but I was never much of a meat eater anyway. Rand is convinced that a vegan diet is the healthiest, but I can't live without cheese and chocolate. :) Thanks for reading and commenting! Miss you!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see your pictures! So glad we can keep up with you on the blog! We miss you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to get in there and start decorating. I miss all my Nixa friends SO BAD! Thanks for reading and leaving a comment-that makes it so much more fun for me!

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to read about your future adventures and see pictures. Also, cannot wait to read about your job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm just waiting for that Washington teaching certificate to arrive in the mail, and then I can breathe easier and spill all the details. I will definitely share!

      Delete
  4. I love reading your blogs and hearing about your new adventure! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! I love writing about it, so I'm grateful for readers! :)

      Delete
  5. I am still SO excited about this adventure! I love that you'll be settled before school starts too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I'm excited about those salt and pepper shakers! They are what 1970's dreams are made of!

      Delete
  6. You are livin the life my friend! Can't wait to see and read more about your new adventure! Missing you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exciting! The rent does seem excruciatingly high to me (that's most of what I make in a month!), but I'm sure it's very good for Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that crazy how much cheaper Missouri is? I told someone here that my first 2br/2ba apartment in Ozark was $350/month, and they died laughing. We are having serious sticker shock about big city costs of living!

      Delete
  8. A belated congratulations on your move Layne!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...