A Look at Our Landing Pad

This was my view from the Pike Place Market. 
Seattle is beautiful. Mountains, tall piney trees, bodies of water with outdoors-y, attractive people all over the place. The buildings in downtown Seattle are shiny. The streets are so clean, and there is a Starbucks everywhere I look. Everything I've heard is true, and I'm so happy to be here.


That doesn't change the fact that moving across the country stinks a big one. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but here's a cold, hard glimpse into my life lately (excuse the stellar nighttime photography).




Yikes. We had to return the moving truck, so we frantically dragged everything into our temporary rental. We also did this at night, because it is HOT here during the day. There's an unusual heat wave happening in Seattle right now.

The next day, I got to work organizing, and the place looked more like this:




Where did all the crap go??! Actually, when I say "organizing" I really just mean "hiding boxes in the spare bedroom." Easy!

My plants didn't enjoy the car ride.


Anyone else read Apartment Therapy? This article on minimalism has me wanting to get rid of stuff I didn't think I could part with. That's something I need to come to terms with, because we'll probably only be able to afford a small closet in downtown Seattle.

What's the farthest distance you've ever moved? 

How attached are you to your stuff? Could you ever part with most of it and live with significantly less?

Any bets on whether or not that lily will make it?

11 comments:

  1. Wow, Seattle! Congratulations on having the courage to up and move, that's super ballsy. Did you sell your house? I look forward to seeing what you do in your new city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was the most stressful thing I've ever done! We're going to rent our house out for a while. :)

      Delete
  2. I like the blue walls in your apartment! You've done a great job setting it up already. Can't wait to see more. And tell us about your new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll share more about the job as soon as my Washington teaching certificate arrives in the mail. I'm so scared something might go wrong...:)

      Delete
  3. This apartment is CUTE!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's just temporary, though. The place itself is cute, but the two hour commute is horrible. We just signed the lease on an apartment we love in the city, though, so I'll share that soon!

      Delete
  4. I've become a minimalist since the last time I moved....haha! You should read "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up" by Marie Kondo. There's a reason it's been super popular. I will warn you though - it'll make you realize how many things you moved only to realize you don't need them at all. I also recommend anything by Joshua Becker (becomingminimalist.org).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that book! I read through it once, threw away a bunch of stuff, and now I need to read it again. I think my stuff doesn't spark as much joy as I originally thought. We just signed the lease on an apartment in the city, though, and it is TINY, so the reducing needs to happen for real this time. I need to check out Joshua Becker, though. Thanks!!

      Delete
  5. Glad you made it to the city! Looks like a fabulous fun adventure. We made it to the country and settling in. Girls are enjoying it but feels like vacay and said " I'm ready to go back home now" missing friends I guess.No internet tv and weak cell signal so taking up lots of art and crocheting LOL. Enjoy Seattle life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Moving it so exhausting, isn't it? Glad you are settling in and getting crafty. It feels so strange to be away from home and then remember this is my home. I'm missing my Nixa kids really bad. Tell Natalie I miss her! :)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...