White Painted Floors in the Bedroom


Happy New Year! 

My bedroom finally has white floors, and oh friends, the whole room GLOWS. 

I followed Anna Dorfman's steps pretty closely, except that I didn't need any shellac spray. The primer she recommended covered everything up beautifully with no wood bleeding. I sanded, primed twice, then brushed on three coats of Royal Porch and Floor paint in Benjamin Moore's Simply White. Going over the floor three times with a paintbrush seemed to take forever, but it looks so good and was completely worth it. It also forced me to examine every square inch of that floor for any remaining staples, nails, and flaws, so now I can walk on this floor barefoot without fear.

The baseboards already had quarter round, so I just went around with caulk and made sure everything was sealed up. I also caulked up a couple of the cracks between the floor boards that seemed larger than the rest, but I left all the other cracks alone. White floors look good with a few imperfections!

Speaking of imperfections, there are still a couple of issues I haven't gotten to yet. The paint just stops at the doorway. I plan to finish ripping up the upstairs carpet and paint it all white at some point, but Rand couldn't handle the furniture piled everywhere downstairs any longer, so that will have to wait. He's going on a weeklong business trip in a couple months, so I think I may do it then. 


The mismatched patch job over the old heat register hole is also still there. It was too overwhelming to try to do it all at once, so I'll come back to this one. For now, it is covered by a rug and it looks fine.

I considered using water-based polyurethane over the whole thing as a last step, so I tested it on a small part of the floor. Sure enough, even the water-based version that promised to dry crystal clear still looked a little yellow, so I sanded it down and repainted that little part. 


I moved the little bookshelf downstairs and replaced it with this painting and magazine cart. The painting hung in Rand's family's house for years and was there when we first started dating. I think his sister bought it at a yard sale. I don't remember how we ended up with it, but I like it.


Max and Mitzi both really love this room now. Although Mitzi thinks it's a little bright in here.

 

Even though this project seemed to take forever with so much painting, then waiting, then more painting and waiting, it felt really satisfying to give my house that kind of love and attention to detail. There is a lot of evidence that this house has been the victim of some neglect and abuse over the last 90 years, so I'm happy to take the time to make it beautiful again.

10 comments:

  1. Perfection! I absolutely LOVE IT! You are brave!!!! Maybe these photos will convince the mister to take the plunge with me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am in LOVE with this room now! White floors seriously make everything you put in the room instantly look better. I highly recommend it. Please share if you decide to go for it!

      Delete
  2. How lovely! It looks so fresh and clean. I want my whole house to feel this light and bright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is amazing how much it brightens up the room!

      Delete
  3. Your bedroom floor looks amazing! It's crazy what a difference it makes in your space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from the Comment Love Tribe!

    The floor came out great! I love how the white really brightens up the room and brings even more light in.

    Lauren #SITSBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  5. The room looks amazing! Love the furniture. The white floors are so inviting. #SITSBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  6. Furniture is really a important element of an office and home which add style and beauty.Thanks for sharing this beautiful Furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Painting bathroom is an economical way to get a whole new look, nevertheless some persons believe it is to be an overwhelming process to pick a color or perhaps kind of paint. I really like your ideas. please keep up the effective work. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course the bedspread is one of the most essential parts of bedroom décor. The bedspread, pillows and sheets that you use can add a beautiful or stylish touch to your bedroom. Steampunk Home decor ideas

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...