Living Room Tour


In a way, I'm a little late to the house blog party, since a lot of my rooms were redone before I started this blog. But since my house is still a work in progress, I still want to add some posts with before and after pictures, since the sweat and tears that went into these projects were no less important, even if they happened years ago.  

My living room was one of the most controversial rooms of my marriage when I finally painted it in June 2012. I thought the wood trim throughout our house was dark, dreary, and in bad shape anyway.  My husband was convinced that we had some sort of obligation to preserve the unpainted wood trim, and that painting it would be a horrible crime against home design history. I painted the trim white anyway, and now he loves it. It's easier to ask forgiveness...  


The wall color is Moonlight White, the trim is Simply White, and the fireplace in Onyx, all by Benjamin Moore. This was back when I really had no idea where to start, so I just used the colors that Anna Dorfman used throughout her house. I figured anything she's done would be a safe bet, and sure enough, I am still in love with these colors. Moonlight White reads as white, but with a tiny bit of gray that makes it interesting, and it is so beautiful next to the bright white trim.

The only paint color I'm not sure of is the brown I used to paint the stair runner. I just used some leftover paint I found in the basement. That project must have been in between paychecks.




Painting the trim in our house almost killed me. It was shellacked, so it had to be sanded and deglossed.  I primed all of it only to notice that the wood was bleeding through, so I switched to a heavy duty primer, and still had to apply two more coats of primer. When the wood finally stopped bleeding, I had to apply two full coats of paint to get good coverage over the primer. By the time I was done, I had gone over every inch of that old wood trim seven times. Hands. So. Tired. 

Everything in this room is an item I love, and I've tried to gather and arrange things as carefully and thoughtfully as I can. The camera on the left is the Minolta my dad bought in Japan during the Vietnam War.  My grandfather's WWII foot locker is spray painted gold and serves as an end table next to the chaise lounge. The giant E was a flea market find, and it looks like the E in MOTEL, with holes for light bulbs to stick through. I made the hanging pendent lights (before Pinterest existed, just saying), and the table runner under the TV is handmade from a lady in my hometown.

That fiber wall hanging above the sofa was an incredible find at a flea market. I had seen wall hangings like this before on blogs, in art galleries, and all around Pinterest, so I was so excited to find one buried under a pile of junk in the basement of a flea market for $3. The credenza, saucer chair, and vintage lamps are also from flea markets, while the coffee table and matching end table were purchased on Craigslist.


While I love decorating my home, I'm a little self-conscious about my skills when it comes to photographing my home. I don't have a particularly nice camera or photo-editing software, and I also just don't think I'm very good at it. But I want to get better...so here's my first try.

Disclaimer: I don't love that sofa and loveseat set. That is the cheap set we purchased for our first apartment nine years ago.  I want a new sofa so bad! But my budget says to wait, so that's what I have to do.

Want to see what this room looked like when we first walked through this house?

{Before}























Yes, the fireplace was painted red. And do you see what I mean about the trim being too dark? If you could see it up close, you would also see how it was in terrible shape and had been stained different shades in different sections. I don't regret my decision to paint the trim at all. 

{After}



5 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I love the painted trim (and I'm usually a purist). I have been wondering about that fireplace wall hanging. Insane! Love the fireplace brick color. Love. Love. LOVE!

    That's the era of home I'm trying to convince the mister to like. Our next home!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you agree on the trim-lots of people gave me a hard time about that one!

      Delete
  2. Wow, what an incredible difference that made to your living room! We have all wood cabinets in our kitchen that I am hesitant to paint since it would require new flooring too and we don't have the budget for that, but seeing your pictures...man that makes we want to PAINT!! Visiting today from #SITSBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful blog.Thank you so much for sharing this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post. Thanks for sharing.
    Chandeliers

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...