So, How Are You Liking Seattle?


It’s a pretty great feeling every time I get this question from a friend back in Missouri. I appreciate that I have friends who actually care how I’m doing now that I’ve moved, but every time it’s caught me a little off guard. I’ve said “Great!” but really, I had no idea because I had just moved here and was struggling just to find my way to the grocery store. So now that I’ve lived here for a bit, I thought I’d share all my feels about this move and tell you how I actually am liking my new city.




Positive:
  • It’s beautiful! Seriously, I cannot believe how much I love the scenery here. I’ve never been very outdoorsy, but Rand and I have found ourselves outside lately much more than ever before. Maybe this is because we have no other friends and not much money, but I like to think it’s because of the trees, the water, and the weather here. It’s not too humid here, so I can wear clothes that cover me adequately without sweating into a puddle. The trees…oh the trees! They’re tall, coniferous, and numerous-just the way I like them. And there are so many beaches with sands, rocks, waves, and driftwood. I don’t see myself getting tired of the beauty here anytime soon. 

  • It’s a big city! Mkay, the thought has crossed my mind…it’s not New York. I feel guilty thinking that, but NYC will always have my heart for some strange reason. BUT! Moving somewhere new is very, very hard, especially at this point in my life. Seattle was a bit of a compromise for me. I’m married and I’m a professional, so I’m stuck going where the husband and job is (I mean, I’m lucky to, yay!). So I’m happy to report that the Seattle skyline also makes my heart skip a beat. Walking down the street in Seattle makes me feel enough like Carrie Bradshaw to keep me happy. And I get a daily opportunity to yell at drug-addled homeless people who harass me on my walk home from work, so that part of me that wants to feel like a badass New Yorker is satisfied. So my point, I guess, is that my second choice city is feeling like home. 
  • It’s interesting! The people here are so wonderfully weird. You never know what you might see when you walk outside your door. I love the fashion, the street performers, the artists, the weirdos, this guy, and how everyone seems to feel pretty confident that you can look however you want and you still fit in on Cap Hill. 
  • Things have fallen into place! You know, like I got a job, and it’s going well. We love our apartment, and our neighborhood. My teaching certificate arrived at the last possible moment, but it arrived and that’s all that matters. I survived all the paperwork and bureaucracy one must deal with in order to move to a new state. We’re learning how to use the public transportation, and how to get groceries home without using the car. I scored a parking spot one block from my home (a step up from the one five blocks from my home). All that stuff that has to happen just for me to be able to live and function has happened, so there’s that. 

Negative:
  • Loneliness. I’m experiencing unprecedented levels of loneliness over here. I didn’t even think I was that social, but going from a few friends to NO FRIENDS is still no fun. It doesn’t help that everywhere I look, I see people with FRIENDS, having FUN, doing fun SEATTLE STUFF. Plus Rand’s new job keeps him very busy, so I’m alone a lot. I want a friends so badly. Just one good friend, please. Can any of you possibly be bribed to move out here?
  • Seattle traffic and roads are the worst. MY CAR TIRE ALMOST FELL OFF. Yes, the roads are in a pitiful state of neglect, and someone joked that my car would need fixed soon after I started driving on them. Then I started hearing a strange sound from my wheel, and I took my car into the shop, and I was informed that my wheel was about to fall off, good thing I brought it in when I did, blah, blah, yikes. Traffic is always a disaster, and every Seattle pedestrian apparently has a death wish. Unfortunately, my job is located 15 minutes outside of the city, and while my commute is short, a car is necessary. I won’t be able to cut my car completely out of my life as I’d hoped, but at least I don’t have to drive anywhere other than to and from work. 
  • It’s not New York. But I’m working through this one.

Moving is hard, man. I’ll admit, I’ve cried. And the calls and texts from friends have (understandably) tapered off, and the world is feeling much bigger to me than it ever has before. I’m glad I made this move, because nothing scares me more than wondering what could have been. But that doesn’t mean it’s been easy. 

8 comments:

  1. You are so brave to have picked up and moved! I just know that you will make friends even if it takes a while. Miss you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Layne...I had that feeling when I first moved to Iowa after I graduated. Jeff had moved up there the August before and was settled. He worked a ton, but had also made a friend in a couple before I moved up there. When I got there, the friends had moved away, it was winter and cold, no job, no friends. When I did get a job, they were coworkers, but no one ever asked us to do anything. I feel your loneliness and hope it gets better for you as you get more acquainted. I would love to become a school skype buddy! I think my kids would enjoy that and maybe it would be good for them to see other classes and students, even younger ones! Think about it and let me know....be happy to make the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! It's so tough. I didn't realize how lonely it would be at first! My coworkers are nice, but they seem like they've already got their lives going and aren't looking for new friends. I would LOVE to have our classes Skype! My kids would think that was the coolest thing! Jaclyn and I are using Google Hangout for the Global Read Aloud. Let's figure out a way and excuse to make it happen!

      Delete
  3. I still marvel over the fact that YOU DID THIS! You are SO brave! I hate that you're lonely........I hope that you can bond with your co-workers! Lots of hugs being sent your way. I think of you often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That cheers me up! I miss you so much. Aaaand....now I live in a tiny apartment where I actually have to be responsible and not buy every fun thing I see while thrifting. BOO!

      Delete
  4. Hi Layne, I stumbled across your blog and just wanted to say hello. Welcome to Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I appreciate it! I really am loving Seattle, haha. Still just adjusting. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...