The Pink Chair // How to Clean Vintage Upholstered Furniture


I'm ashamed to admit it, but there was a time in my life when I would have looked at a chair like this and thought, "Ew."

Vintage upholstered furniture can look really gross at first, since upholstery holds on to gross stuff better than materials like wood, fiberglass, or metal. But it only took one look at those legs, that tufting, that pink velvety fabric, and that midcentury hotness to convince me it was worth a try to get it clean.

Also, it was FREE.

A friend of my mom's thrifted this chair and gave it to her. My mom didn't need it, so she offered it to me. It was still in great shape, but the fabric had some stains, crumbs and crustiness.

Let's see what we can do.

Here are a couple of sick before shots I took to show you how dirty this guy was.

Sorry if this first photo hurts your eyes. It ended up blurry, but I needed it to help illustrate what a good job I did.




So this is how I recommend cleaning up a vintage upholstered piece of furniture like this one.


Step 1 // Vacuum like a crazy person. I throw the hose over my shoulder and run the end of it up and down the upholstery like a paint brush. Get down in all the tufting, details, and deep inside the cushions. Go over every surface a least twice, until you have all the loose stuff removed. Don't forget to turn it upside down and vacuum underneath as well. That's where cobwebs and critters like to hide.

Step 2 // Make repairs. I had to turn this chair over and tighten some things up. I still need to replace the things on the ends of the legs because they're scratching up my wood floors, but at least all the bolts and screws and whatever are tightened up.



Step 3 // Spray all the fabric surface with a light layer of upholstery/carpet cleaner. I know you're smart enough to find the carpet cleaner at the grocery store, but I took a photo of what I used. Bloggers are supposed to do that. Actually, seeing that logo with my living room makes me realize I want a sunburst clock.

This stuff says it can clean both upholstery/carpets, but be sure to check the label of whatever you buy. Let that sit for a few minutes, then scrub the whole thing with a clean cloth. Look closely for stains and be sure to get into the little cracks and crevices. Repeat this step as many times as you need to get the fabric looking good. When you're done, the piece may still feel a little damp, so let it dry.

Step 4 // Touch up any wooden parts, like legs, with a rubdown using Howard Feed 'n Wax. Rub it on, give it a few minutes, then wipe up the excess that didn't soak in.

Step 5 // Sit down, admire your piece of furniture and congratulate yourself for being eco-friendly and stylish.

So don't be grossed out by vintage upholstery! As long as the fabric's not falling apart, see if you can revive it. If it's too worn or torn, consider reupholstering it.  I have a little green love seat that has sat in my classroom's reading nook for the last five years, and now I'm thinking I might get brave and try to recover it.

Maybe white vinyl?

I ended up throwing a sheepskin on this chair to hide all the cat hair that Max and Mitzi would get all over the seat anyway. Max never leaves this spot now.


15 comments:

  1. I WISH I read this post back in college! My roommate and I found this awesome overstuffed "vintage" chair on the street (grandma floral pattern and all). We used all out strength to carry it back to the dorm (it was heavy!), but about a month later we determined that it was worsening my roommate's asthma. Might have been better if we didn't pick it off the street. Good memories though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! I've never been brave enough to bring in an upholstered piece off the street, but good for you!! It's a shame it couldn't be saved. :)

      Delete
  2. Great tips! I actually would've never thought to this and the chair does indeed look a lot ... cleaner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh this has come up gorgeous! we did something similar with a vintage leather recliner, hoovering, shampooing and feeding did a world of difference. it's great when a nice vintage object gets some tlc and can shine again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I JUST found an vintage blue velvet chair by a dumpster today! I'm super, super excited about it but it is DIRTY! I'm trying a few methods to remove what looks like rust to me.... I hope I can find a way to get those stains out because this chair is perfect except for that; no rips, tears nothing. The color is like a blue/green 50's color and I love it. Wish me luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you're still skeptical concerning victimization inexperienced carpet improvement ways, visit this link to seek out out why you must be victimization eco-friendly ways in which to take care of your carpet. Click here, for more information click here carpet cleaning bordentown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At some point Almost every house will require furniture of some type. It is because of this that the retail furniture industry is one of the most profitable forms of business. You can try recliner from bestrecliner.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cleaning upholstery can be tricky, especially if it is vintage and valuable to you. You want to make sure that you do it right and not ruin it. This article gives a detailed explanation on how to clean it. I think how you posted a lot pictures showing how it is done which makes it simpler to understand. http://www.optionspluscarpetandupholsterycare.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips of vintage upholsters cleaning. This is ideally good thing to know especially that many of us needs good method of cleaning in this kind of pink chairs that made from a durable clothing materials.
    Carpet waves | Carpet bumps

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really great post.I will recommend to those trying to clean utilizing upholstery cleaner on your furniture,please check cushions for fabric care tags or directions —they'll let you know what cleaning answers for use.Thank you.

    @Jessica Glenn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great article. Thanks for sharing such a useful post.

    cleaning materials in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  11. Without new design luxury furniture we can't thought a modern office. Luxury and elegent furniture make good environment work at office.http://luxuryfurnitureshop.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Value: Cost does matters! Truth be told it makes a difference a great deal. While exploring likewise search at the costs at which the furniture is being sold by various online retailers.https://www.cheapbedroomfurniture.co

    ReplyDelete
  13. I, like you, used to scoff at those really cool pieces of furniture from the mid-century/mod era. Well... I'm older and my office is decked out in style. I just picked up several chairs and a couch and found your post regarding cleaning. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...