The Flea Market Booth

{Photo by Jessica Lafferty, Via More or Less Jess}

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till I drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

-Jack Kerouac, On The Road

I thought Kerouac's On The Road was so awful I couldn't even finish it, but it does contain one of my favorite quotes ever.  This statement describes me perfectly: I like too many things. I've got a million ideas running through my head at all times, and there are so many, many things I want to try and learn to do and experience that I'm constantly jumping from one thing to the next. My goal is to get better about sticking to the things I start, since this habit has resulted in lots of unfinished projects and ventures that I don't follow through on very well *coughthisblogcough.*

So even though I probably have too many rods in the fire as it is, today I'm here to tell you about my latest scheme: My mom and I have opened a flea market booth.

Mom and I have been tossing around the idea for awhile. I inherited my love of thrifting from my mother. The problem for dedicated thrifters is that eventually your thrifted treasures start to pile up and you run out of space. Secretly, we both probably belong on an episode of Hoarders, so we've been feeling guilty about buying more junk when we both have too much already. And if something is standing between me and thrifting, I get antsy.

We looked at our options. Garage sales are great to visit, but having a garage sale of your own is the worst. We could just donate it all, but we really wanted to see if we could make a little something to put towards future thrifting. My mom suggested a flea market booth months ago, but neither of us knew anything about it or how to get started. I consulted my blog friend Danavee, who recently celebrated her three year flea market boothiversary and seems to really know her stuff, for some advice. She shared her knowledge of rent, rules, taxes, and so on, and she made it sound a little less scary.

So we went for it. We've opened up a booth at Vendor's Mart on Glenstone. Our booth is in the basement, where the rent is cheaper and we still seem to be getting plenty of traffic. So far, we've had no trouble paying our rent plus making some bread for ourselves.


The lighting's not great for photography. I plan to talk to Vendor's Mart about that.


If you're in the SGF area, stop by! It's not the kind of booth that's strictly vintage or anything like that. It's just mountains of all the stuff my mom and I have collected over the years, mostly home decor items, plus some random things you'll be surprised to see that I ever owned.

So here's hoping that we can stick with this little pursuit for awhile and learn all about it. I'm already feeling much more free to thrift as often as I please, since now if I change my mind about it later, I can just put it in the booth. Hot dog!

2 comments:

  1. FUN STUFF!!!!!!!!!! Seeing this post in my feed made me excited. And thanks for the shout out too! I MUST GET OVER THERE!!!!!!! Thrilled to hear it's going so well!

    We should talk "what's selling" with each other. Surprisingly, my vintage clothes have been flying off the hangers lately. Hand mixers seem to be popular too! Aprons, suitcases....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes! I still have so much to learn! I'm kind of surprised by some of the weird stuff that's sold so far, though. And how I arrange seems to make a big difference. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...